Sunday, May 17, 2009

First smallies of the season



My first smallmouth of the season. Not a big one but the first always gets to pose for the camera. The river was a little high and dirty which made for some sketchy wading but the fish are always there.


It was a little slower than most years. I caught this 18 1/2 incher  right after I released a smaller one. I was watching a mink on the bank about five feet from where I was wading when this guy very softly picked up my grub it felt like I set the hook in a rock.  This is my biggest one so far. That mink came by later with a 10 in bullhead in it's mouth so I guess he had some luck too. I tried to get a picture, but it was nothing but a blur.


Three cast later and one small one in between this pig hit my curly tail. Another 18 incher. I couldn't believe it. I fished for another hour and caught several more smaller one so it was a great sunday afternoon. Even made it home in time to watch the Wings beat the Blackhawks.


1 comment:

  1. Wow Nick! quite the fisherman. I am so excited that you and Janna started a blog. Can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete